Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Vegan Brownies

 No, I'm not a vegan.

What I am is a very lazy girl with a voracious sweet tooth that wasn't going to let the fact that I'd run out of eggs and didn't feel like going to the store keep me from baking it brownies.

Which is how I came to Google "vegan brownies." I had all the ingredients for this recipe, so I headed for the kitchen.

Except it turned out I didn't have all the ingredients. In addition to eggs, I was out of white sugar. It seemed like brown sugar would work, though, so that's what I used.

I was on the phone with my little sister as I threw this together one-handed, so I was even more distracted than I usually am when I'm cooking. But even so, I kept exclaiming over the proportions of the ingredients.

"Two cups of sugar? Doesn't that seem like a lot?"

"A whole cup of vegetable oil? That can't be right, can it? A cup? I'm out of regular vegetable oil -- I can use corn oil, right?"

The batter was thick, but extremely oily. I poured it in the pan and chucked it in the oven. About 15 minutes into the 25-minute cook time, I realized I had pecans in the freezer, so I yanked the pan out of the oven and tried to press the nuts into the top of the brownies. They'd already firmed up, though, and it wasn't really working, so I only covered about a quarter of the pan and put them back in to finish baking.

These are definitely cakey brownies, so if fudgy is your thing, just forget it. They'd be pretty good topped with some ice cream and caramel sauce or with a light frosting, but on their own, they're pretty one note. I know a lot of brownies are like that, but with some recipes, you get a more nuanced flavor with butter and vanilla in additon to the chocolate.

What I liked:
  • One bowl recipe!
  • Brownies on demand -- very easy
  • Consistent, small crumb -- would be excellent for frosting and serving on a platter because the brownies hold together well
  • No problem at all getting the brownies out of the pan (probably thanks to that full cup of oil!)

What I didn't:
  • Chocolate flavor was kind of underwhelming - could have been becuase I wasn't using a high-quality cocoa, just basic Hershey's
  • Texture like a firm sponge

No comments: